Temples in Veliko Tarnovo
Transfiguration Monastery “Transfiguration of the Lord” is located on the banks of the Yantra River, just 6 km away from Veliko Tarnovo. It is the fourth largest in Bulgaria. It was founded in 13-14 century. The emergence of Transfiguration Monastery is associated with the second wife of Bulgarian King Ivan Alexander – Sarah and their son Ivan Shishman who donate money for its reconstruction. For this reason, the monastery is also known as Sarin or Shishmanov.
Patriarchal Monastery “St. Trinity” is located in a beautiful area at the foothills of the Arbanasi plateau, about 6 km from Veliko Tarnovo and 1.5 km from the village Samovodene.
According to some researchers Patriarch monastery was founded in 1070 and the reason for this assumption gives the inscription found during the construction of the new church in 1847.
Hidden among the high rocks of the Dryanovska river gorge lies the picturesque Dryanovo Monastery. It is located 4 km from the town Dryanovo and 24 km from Veliko Tarnovo.
Church “Saint Nikola” is located in Veliko Tarnovo and was educational center in which training was done in Bulgarian. It was built with the permission of Bishop Ilarion of Crete. The church is lower basilica with wooden columns and wooden ceilings. Its construction began in 1835 by the master Ivan Davdata, but was completed by Kolyo Ficheto.
Cathedral “St. Nativity of the Virgin” is located in Boyar neighborhood in Veliko Tarnovo. It was built onto the old church Nativity of the Virgin, the work of Nikola Ficheto in the period 1842 – 1844. The current Cathedral (Catholic) church was built by the grandfather Grozyu in 1933-1934. The old church was destroyed by an earthquake in 1913.
Arbanassi Monastery “St. Nikola” is located in a small valley near Veliko Tarnovo. It was founded in the XI century, then destroyed and re-built. The monastery was visited by revolutionaries as Vasil Levski, Stefan Stambolov, Matthew Transfiguration and others. Today the monastery is a convent acting and a complex consisting of residential buildings, a church and a chapel.
Prisovo monastery St. Panteleimon in the village Prisovo, 5 km from Veliko Tarnovo. Founded in 1870 as “family” convent and is dated as Renaissance. Today the monastery is maintained active females and is used as a shelter for mentally ill people. In the courtyard is the bell tower and the church. At the entrance of the monastery is loaded plate that was brought from the area Nikopolis ad Istrum and on it are carried out blessings.
Kapinovo monastery was founded in 1272 at the time of Emperor Konstantin Asen – Quiet (1257 – 1277). An inscription on the apse of the today’s church reported that in the same year on this place was built a temple called “Trinity.” During this period the monastery was an important religious center, but with the fall of Turnovo under Ottoman rule was burned. At the end of 17 century villagers from nearby villages managed to get permission from Turkish authorities for his recovery.
“St. St. Peter and Pavel” Church is one of the few medieval churches, kept and working since the beginning of XIII c. to the earthquake in 1913.
After the liberation by the Turks in abandoned areas of Veliko Tarnovo settled Bulgarians, which had to build churches there. A medrese was adapted for the church “St. Trinity, St. Mina and Annunciation.” It was illuminated on 19 July 1881. The established church, however, was destroyed by an earthquake in 1913. In 1835 was built today’s building of the Tarnovo Church “Holy Trinity”.
Holy Forty Martyrs church (“Sv. Chetirideset machenitsi”) in Veliko Tarnovo is one of the most emblematic medieval Eastern Orthodox church. It is located at the foot of Tsarevets Fortress. The temple has been a monument of culture since 1964 and is closely related to the history of Bulgaria. It was built and its walls were painted in honour of the victory of Tsar Ivan Asen II over Theodore Komnenos Doukas, ruler of Epirus, in the Battle of Klokotnitsa on March 22, 1230.
The Church “St. George” was restored and preserved in the period 1968-1971 according the project of architect Boyan Kuzupov. The church was situated at the foot of the south slope of the hill of Trapezitsa, on the right bank of the river of Yantra. It is a little church, with a nave, one apse, with a little narthex and a semi-cylindrical vault.
“St. Petka Tarnovska” Church in the Kartala district is dedicated to the name of the saint.
Petka Paraskeva is a Bulgarian saint, revered not only in Bulgaria but also outside the country because of feat of her life in the name of Christ and because of the miracles of her’s holy relics.
Petka is patroness of the house, children and women.
The Church “St. Archangels Michael and Gabriel” is located in the southern part of Arbanassi. The oldest part of the church was built in the XVII century. Recent archaeological studies prove that it was built on the foundations of an earlier church from XIII-XIV century. There is evidence that by the middle of the XVIII and XIX century the church was monastery. Inside, the whole church was decorated with frescoes.
Saint Atanasii Church is located in Arbanassi, Veliko Turnovo Municipality. The church is a stone building, built in the 30s of the XVII century. The painting is finished in 1667 according to the donor’s inscription. The iconographic program of the church is simple and easy to digest. In the churchyard is the Chapel St. Haralambos. The church is a symbol of Arbanassi.
Arbanassi Monastery the Virgin Mary is located in Arbanassi, 6 km from Veliko Tarnovo. It can be reached on the main road from Veliko Tarnovo to Gorna Oryahovitsa, and monitor the turnoff to Arbanassi. It was founded during the Second Bulgarian Kingdom, with the help of Evtimii. The monastery is a convent and acting. Miraculous Icon St. Mary Trueruchitsa, which is studded with silver and dates from the 18th century, stored in Arbanassi church. In it are preserved and other interesting relics. The monastery does not offer shelter and food.
Temple symbol St. Demetrius of Thessaloniki is located in Assen neighborhood of Veliko Tarnovo. The temple has more than 800 years of history and is dated as medieval. He became the center of the Bulgarian uprising against Byzantium. Since the establishment of the church to this day it was destroyed and looted several times. In January 1913 earthquake collapsed to the ground as it remained only a few parts. In time begins restoration and majestic temple was erected again.
Plakovski monastery “St. Prophet Iliya” is located at the northern foothills of the Elena hills near Plakovo which is about 14 km from Veliko Tarnovo.
Kilifarevo Monastery “Nativity of the Virgin” was founded in 1348 by eminent Bulgarian hesychast Theodosius with the support of Tsar Ivan Alexander. Theodosius became abbot of the monastery and it became one of the most important literary centers in Bulgaria and spiritual center of the Orthodox hesychasm.
The church “St. Kiril and Metodii Church” was built in 1860-1861 by Master Kolyo Ficheto, who is recorded in the temple’s chronicle as “architect”. The church rises in the “Varosha” district and there is a wonderful view of today’s main street of Veliko Tarnovo.
The Church St. Marina was built in the XIX-th century by the famous master Kolyu Ficheto. The temple was officially inaugurated in 1854 by a Greek prelate.
The church of St. Demetrious of Thessaloniki has a cruciform dome with a “tight” cross. It consists of a shorten naos , a narthex and two galleries running to the north and south. The two entrances of the narthex lead to the naos. The altar is shaped as a five-wall apse and facing to the east. Two niches are built on its both sides.
Church “Nativity of Christ” is located in Arbanassi. It was built in the 16th century and rebuilt several times. The interior is completely painted in 16-17 century. Carving adorns the iconostasis partition of the main temple. The original iconostasis was from 1636, but has been replaced with today in the 18th century. It is one of the earliest examples of Bulgarian art carvings.
Prisovo monastery “Archangel Michael” was founded by Assen brothers in honor of Bulgarians who died in battle against Isaac Angel. Located near the village Prisovo, about 8 km from Veliko Tarnovo. Over the centuries, the monastery was destroyed and raising multiple times. It was a haven for prominent Bulgarians as Vasil Levski, Panayot Hitov, Ilarion Makariopolski, etc.