Monuments of Architecture
Tsarevets Fortress is an architectural museum reserve, located on the eponymous hill, near the old town of Veliko Tarnovo. The complex is all preserved remains of the great Bulgarian capital Tarnovo. Today you can see the castle walls and gate of the medieval city, part of the royal palace, Baldwin Tower and fully restored patriarchal church “Ascension”. The first settlement on the hill dates back five thousand years ago, the fortress was the main Bulgarian fortress during the Second Bulgarian Kingdom when Tarnovo was the capital of Bulgaria.
The information about the existing of Arbanassi is from the end of XV c. In this time it was owned by high-ranking dignitaries in the Ottoman Empire. After 1541 the empire’s grand vizir Rustem Pasha owned the village. Profiting by his authority, he ensured many privileges to the people of Arbanassi – they didn’t pay any governmental taxes and duties. The legalized privileges made Arbanassi a very attractive place for living.
Trapezitza is a hill located near the town of Veliko Tarnovo. It is believed that the name derives from “trapeze” because the shape of the hill is a trapezoid. During excavations there were found remains of 17 churches, and the relics of St. Ivan Rilski, transferred to the Rila Monastery.
Baldwin Tower is located in Architectural Museum Reserve Tsarevets, Veliko Tarnovo. The name of the Baldwin Tower is associated with the legend that it was closed and his death Latin Emperor Baldwin (Baudouin) Flanders, who was captured by Bulgarian Tsar Kaloyan after the battle of Adrianople in 1205 probably based mainly on rumors that legend has opisana and Alberik – medieval canon and chronicler of the first Crusade.
Samovodska charshia is an architecture, museum and historical landmark. It was created in the 60s and 70s of XIX century, originally formed two streets with shops, craft stores and inns. There are several equipped and acting workshops – carving, pottery, weaving, etc.
Stambolov bridge in Veliko Tarnovo connects the current central part of the city with Mount Athos. It boasts wonderful views of the old town of Veliko Tarnovo. Construction of the facility began in 1892 – its height is 37 meters. Also you can see bungee jumping enthusiasts.
Vladishki Bridge was built in the XVII century in the town of Veliko Tarnovo. The bridge has stone foundations and structure with wooden ford top. Its name derives from the fact that it is near Turnovo Bishopric. Episcopal bridge was the only one in Assen neighborhood and it crossed the road to Arbanassi. The bridge is one of the landmarks of the city, because it is a splendid view of the surroundings. Hence throws Bogoyavlenski cross into the Yantra River.